Housing & Utility Assistance

Clackamas County Assistance Programs

Locate resources, programs, and organizations that help with bills


The Clackamas County Social Services organization has several resources and services they can provide people with who are struggling with paying their bills and rent. The organization is in effect the local Community Action Agency for Clackamas County. Some of the programs they offer are indicated below.

Rent Assistance Program : This program oversees and administers a wide variety of funds that are used to help pay rent. Currently grants are only available to people who have been sent eviction notices. Eligibility requirements for the program do vary with fund sources, however the program is limited to low-income families with children, disabled adults, and adults 45+ who are at risk of being evicted. When funds are available, the program will also conducts intake appointments and they try to work with landlords to prevent evictions and try to find a solution that works for both the renter and landlord. Even if the funds run out, or if someone doesn’t qualify for aid, the program also provides information concerning the eviction process, regulations and laws, and renter rights, regardless of the availability of rent funds.


Emergency Shelter Program: This provides information as well as referral to emergency shelters in the tri-county area. The program will proactively screen homeless families with children who are seeking emergency shelter and it also conducts intake for eligible families for the Annie Ross House.


NHA’s mission is to create opportunity through housing. We build and rehabilitate affordable housing for Oregonians earning low incomes including seniors, families and people with special needs. NHA also operates the Annie Ross House shelter for homeless families with children and provides rapid re-housing and stabilization services through our HomeBase program.

Help for utility and heating bills from Low Income Energy Assistance Program: (LIEAP): This is funded by the federal government, and people can apply annually beginning on December 1st. The program runs until all funds have been spent. It focuses on low to moderate income seniors, families and individuals who are residents of Clackamas County, as well as disabled adults. grants paid by LIEAP are to be used to pay the bills for the primary heat source including electricity, wood, heating oil, gas, and propane.


Oregon Energy Assistance Program: Unlike LIEAP, this program is funded by the state of Oregon. It also operates year-round for low-income Clackamas County residents who have Portland General Electric as their utility company. Clients who are in danger of having their power shutoff and households not previously served by this or other assistance programs have priority for grants and aid.


Money Management Program:
Counselors and other volunteers provide assistance to low-income adults who need help understanding and handling their financial affairs. Volunteers to the program are recruited, trained, and matched with clients. The services they offer include Budgeting, debt counseling, bill paying, monitoring, budgeting, tips to balance checkbooks, and other routine financial tasks.


Gas Assistance Program (GAP): This assistance program, also offered by Social Services, helps customers of Northwest Natural Gas. People can apply starting on December 1 and grants are paid out until funds are expended. It focuses on helping low-income seniors, disabled adults, and also other low income families and individuals who are residents of Clackamas County.


Call Clackamas County Social Services at (503) 655-8640 for more information on any of these programs and help or click the web address above. Or select this link to find additional information on public assistance in Clackamas County.

Another non-profit agency to call is the Clackamas County Community action agency. They deal with issues regarding landlord-tenant, fair housing, rental assistance and other housing-related issues. Unfortunately no direct rental assistance is provided at this time but referrals to local charities, non-profits, and Oregon and federal government programs for assistance are made. Please call (503) 650-5750 for more information.

Salvation Army Clackamas provides free food, holiday gifts and meals, and they may, from time to time, be able to coordinate financial aid to pay the bills that may be outstanding from a short term crisis. Such as rent, utility, and other expenses. Other services offered include general case management, holiday assistance, and homeless prevention programs. (503) 239-1266. More details.


St. Vincent de Paul Social Services (phone (503) 235-8431) may have limited programs and grants as well. This is a leading charity organization in Oregon as well as nationwide. Low income families, seniors, and others that apply for help will need to go through an interview and home visit process.

Click more Saint Vincent Clackamas resources.

Canby Adult Center – A number of programs are offered to senior citizens, the elderly, and others. Among them include health screening, information and referrals on community resources and aid programs, home delivered meals, computers for job finding, free legal aid. Some financial help may be offered for bills too. Such as grocery shopping, medical equipment loans, and seasonal help with electricity and heating bill costs for low income Canby Utility Board customers. Transportation for doctor visits can be arranged too. 1250 S Ivy Street, Canby, Oregon 97013, (503) 266-2970

Housing Authority Of Clackamas County coordinates rental assistance from the Section 8 voucher rent subsidy and other sources. Financial aid is for low and moderate income seniors, families, and persons with disabilities. They also operate lower cost apartments in the region. Lastly, they run the Shelter Plus Care Program for persons with disabilities as well as the Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH). Address is 13930 S Gain Street, Oregon City, OR 97045. Call (503) 655-8267.

Northwest Housing Alternatives runs a program known as HomeBase which seeks to prevent homelessness and evictions. It can offer short- and medium-term financial, rental, and utility bill assistance. A component known as Rapid Re-Housing is new home and apartments placement assistance. Funds can be distributed to pay for moving assistance, deposits, first month rent, and related expenses. HomeBase also offers case management to help residents learn and navigate the complex social service system in Oregon and federal programs. The office is at 2316 SE Willard Street in Milwaukie, Oregon 97222. (503) 654-1007.

Clackamas AIDS Project can provide families with temporary and permanent housing. Eviction prevention, emergency rental assistance, and other related programs are administered. Dial 503-445-7699.

City Of Estacada – This is a municipal government agency that is involved in serving residents of the city of Estacada, including a discounted utility bill program for qualified low-income senior citizens. 475 SE Main Street, Estacada, Oregon 97023, phone (503) 630-3483

Tenants facing eviction or residents that need rental assistance can turn to several different agencies. There are organizations that focus addressing housing issues in the region. Whether it is funds for a security deposit, legal aid, or emergency cash assistance for paying back rent, options are available.Click here more information.

Christ The Vine Lutheran Church – This church provides one-time emergency free food and/or meals to low income, unemployed, and struggling residents of Clackamas County. Food can be delivered too. Rent help and utility bill assistance can be provided too when funds available. 18677 SE Hwy 212, Damascus, Oregon 97089, dial (503) 658-5650

Oregon City Catholic Charities offers services for the entire county. While the financial aid for bills, such as rent and energy, is limited, the agency and its churches offer a number of other low income and poverty fighting programs. Among them include tenant mediation, free food and nutritional support, employment counseling and information on job openings in Clackamas County. Counseling for immigrants and senior citizens are available too. Continue with Clackamas Catholic Charity programs.


Help during the holidays in Clackamas County – Everything from referrals to regional Christmas programs to hot meals are available. Services are provided at both Thanksgiving or Christmas. Some of the non-profits will also be able to supply free unwrapped toys, games, gift cards, and more for young children or infants. Locate Clackamas area Christmas and Holiday programs.

Debt, foreclosure, and bankruptcy counseling

Oregon City and Clackamas residents can try contacting Clearpoint Financial Solutions at (503) 253-5115. They are a non-profit credit counseling agency that offers numerous free or low priced solutions. Counselors can help consumers identify and resolve the source of their financial concerns, housing concerns or outstanding debts. The agency offers budget, debt, credit, foreclosure prevention, housing and bankruptcy counseling services. Professionals can help educate clients about the wise use of credit, when to charge bills and when to take on debt, and they can help people make more effective financial choices. Services provided in person, by phone and by Internet. Learn moreon Oregon foreclosure assistance.

Legal aid

Legal Aid Services of Oregon is a firm that offers low income pro bono legal advice. Call the law firm at (503) 655-2518. They provide legal counsel for such issues as foreclosure prevention, divorces, nonviolent crimes, consumer debt scams, and more. Click here to learn more on Oregon free legal programs.

Help for utility and water bills in Wilsonville, Oregon

Wilsonville Community Sharing is an organization that help Wilsonville residents. The city of Wilsonville has set up a fund of tens of thousands of dollars to help people pay water bills, utility bills, heating bills, check for water leaks and do some minor repairs. Some people also call this program the city’s utility relief program.

This heating and utility bills assistance program will offer limited grants and credits on bills, as well as leak repair assistance to qualifying residential customers. Applicants will be screened and need to fall under the income guidelines. The maximum crisis voucher or grant paid per household during an 18-month period will be $150, with the customer also needing to pay at least 25 percent of the outstanding bill.

Being connected is no longer a luxury, it’s a necessity! Everthing from getting a job to staying in touch with loved ones in shifting online.

Comcast has a resource for low-income families who may not otherwise be able to afford internet. Internet Essentials is a Comcast-sponsored program that makes internet access available to low-income households with children who receive free or reduced for school lunches under the National School Lunch Program. While participating in the program, participants may receive a low-cost internet connection and computer, with free internet training. Internet connection is $9.95 per month plus tax. Computers are $159.00 plus tax. It is not necessary to purchase the low-cost computer to obtain the low cost internet connection.

***Families must have children who receive free shcool lunches under the National School Lunch Program. Must line in an area where Comast Internet service is offered. Cannot have received Comcast Internet service within the last 90 days, and may not have a past due bill or unreturned equipment with Comcast.***

PDF Flyer